Monday, October 17, 2011

If there’s one thing I know for sure....

it’s that I actually love Buddy Holly. His glasses #originalhipster, his swag, his voice ughh #love.  The effect of his death has been hitting me hard core this weekend. It may seem really random, but I feel it can all be routed back to.... hmmm let me think..... Lykke Li’s cover of Unchained Melody, which Pitchfork posted a story about last week.
 I totally realized my love for Unchained Melody and like every song I fall in love with, I had to play it repeatedly on a loop. Naturally this led me to star the original version, performed by the 1960’s cuties The Righteous Brothers, on Spotify, which then landed Unchained Melody on my coveted playlist Jazzcatz (a big honor for sure). The Righteous Brother’s token #oldtimey sound reminded me that I had been meaning to star (if you don’t know what this means... get your ass on Spotify, but really) Rave on Buddy Holly, a collection of Buddy Holly’s hits performed by some of my favorite current artists (examples including: My Morning Jacket, She & Him, The Black Keys, Modest Mouse, ect.).
Look at that swagger.
(p.s. not my picture)

So there begins my love obsession with Buddy Holly. He was google imaged, set as desktop background, and in general, talked about to #excess. Then as if a sign from the universe, the movie, La Bamba was on tv. Oh wow. But actually. such a good movie.... even though Buddy Holly is only portrayed for like a minute at the end. I wanted to cry. Poor Ritchie Valens #roughlife.
It was definitely the day music died. If you just sit and think about it.... there are so many songs, tunes, melodies, riffs, lyrics that weren’t ever and will never be created because of that plane crash. #deepthoughts. They didn’t even make it to the sixties... so upsetting. If there’s one thing i know for sure it’s that the world is missing out.
"Death is very often referred to as a good career move” - Buddy Holly
He knew.

2 comments:

  1. hi! found your blog on the Buddy Holly tag on Tumblr. I love him too! And I tell people I was named after him but I really wasn't haha, my parents werent that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey holly thanks for the comment! It’s nice to know someone reads this hahah. I would tell people I was named after him too... people always call me Gwen Stefani... but I was not named after her.... thank god hah

    ReplyDelete